June is designated as Men’s Health Month with screenings, health fairs and outreach activities taking place around the country. Along with tips on men’s skin health, learn how to encourage the man in your life to go to the doctor for a skin check from Dr. Dustin Mullens of Affiliated Dermatology. For men in Arizona, it’s an especially good time to talk about skin cancer, the most common form of cancer in the U.S. According to the American Cancer Society:
- In 2019, it’s expected more men (57,220) than women (39,260) will be diagnosed with melanomas of the skin.
- In 2019, it’s estimated more men (7.230) than women (2,490) will die from melanomas of the skin.
Best Skincare Tips for MenIn addition to the risk of skin cancer, the summer season brings challenges to our skin. The sun is cranking and the moisture in the air is usually low. This leaves our skin dry. Without its proper moisture barrier, the skin can become irritated, inflamed, and even fissured (aka cracked). Many consequences stem from this. To counter flaky, scaly skin, the experts at Affiliated Dermatology share this advice:
- Drink plenty of water
- The more water you drink, the more likely your skin cells will stay hydrated.
- Avoid long, hot showers
- Too much hot water can strip away skin’s natural oils. Try lukewarm instead and limit showers to ten minutes.
- Use correct products
- Avoid products that contain alcohol, which can be drying. Opt for a mild, noncomedogenic cleanser, which is formulated to not block pores.
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, and sunscreen.
- Protect yourself from skin cancer by using sunscreens throughout the day and limit sun exposure. If you’re worried about your vitamin D levels, then be aware that the majority of our vitamin D comes from our diet rather than the sun.
- Many fishes and vitamin D-fortified foods are available.
- Plus, vitamin D supplements are readily available. Remember, the best anti-aging cream is sunscreen! That’s right, guys. Protecting your skin with sunscreens from the powerful radiation emitted by the sun will make you look younger for longer.