Tumescent liposuction is a popular and effective method for removing stubborn fat deposits in localized areas of the body. This in-office procedure is performed under local anesthesia and offers numerous benefits over traditional liposuction techniques. In this blog, we will discuss the basics of tumescent liposuction, how it works, and what sets it apart from other liposuction methods.
What is the Tumescent Technique?
Tumescent liposuction is a minimally invasive fat removal technique developed by dermatologists for treating localized areas of fat. It is performed under local anesthesia, meaning the patient remains awake and comfortable throughout the procedure.
The tumescent technique involves injecting a solution containing a local anesthetic, saline, and epinephrine into the treatment area. This “unique tumescent fluid” numbs the area, constricts blood vessels, and helps to liquefy the fat, making it easier to remove with a small cannula (a thin, hollow tube) through tiny incisions. This method is best suited for patients with trouble losing fat in specific areas, such as the bra roll, double chin, upper arms, lower belly, male chest, upper belly, love handles, and above the knees.
What are the Benefits of Tumescent Liposuction?
Tumescent liposuction offers several advantages over traditional liposuction techniques, including:
- Minimal downtime: Most patients can return to work within two days following the procedure and resume exercise within 3-4 weeks.
- Lower risk of complications: The tumescent technique reduces the risk of infection, bleeding, and scarring compared to standard liposuction.
- Local anesthesia: The procedure is performed under local anesthesia, eliminating the risks associated with general anesthesia.
- Less bruising and swelling: The tumescent solution constricts blood vessels, resulting in less bruising and swelling after the procedure.
- Better results: The tumescent technique allows for more precise fat removal, resulting in smoother, more natural-looking contours.
What is the Tumescent Liposuction Procedure Like?
During the tumescent liposuction procedure, the treatment area is first numbed using the tumescent solution. Once the area is adequately numbed, the surgeon makes small incisions and inserts a thin, hollow cannula to suction out the liquefied fat. The procedure typically takes 1-2 hours, depending on the size of the treatment area. After the procedure, patients are advised to wear compression garments for the recommended duration to help reduce swelling and improve the final result.
Tumescent Liposuction vs. Standard Liposuction
While both tumescent liposuction and standard liposuction aim to remove unwanted fat, there are several key differences between the two methods:
- Anesthesia: Tumescent liposuction uses local anesthesia, while standard liposuction often requires general anesthesia or sedation.
- Risks and complications: Tumescent liposuction has a lower risk of infection, bleeding, and scarring compared to standard liposuction.
- Recovery time: Tumescent liposuction has a shorter recovery period. Most patients return to work within two days and resume exercise within 3-4 weeks, whereas recovery from standard liposuction may take longer.
- Results: Tumescent liposuction allows for more precise fat removal, often resulting in smoother, more natural-looking contours compared to standard liposuction. Keep in mind that tumescent liposuction is not intended for significant weight loss or total body fat removal. Instead, it is best suited for patients with localized areas of stubborn fat that do not respond to diet and exercise.
Realistic Expectations for Tumescent Liposuction Results
It’s crucial to have realistic expectations when considering tumescent liposuction. This procedure is not designed to result in significant weight loss; typically, 500mL to 1 liter of fat is removed. The primary goal of tumescent liposuction is to help patients look and feel better in their clothes by reducing inches in the treated areas. It effectively targets stubborn areas of fat that do not respond to diet and exercise.
Am I a Good Candidate for Tumescent Liposuction?
Ideal candidates for tumescent liposuction include:
- Patients who are not planning to become pregnant
- Patients with no known bleeding history or history of blood clots
- Patients who exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet
It is essential to consult with a qualified professional to determine if tumescent liposuction is the right choice for you.
How Much Does Tumescent Liposuction Cost?
At Affiliated Dermatology, Tumescent Liposuction treatment ranges from $2,800 – $7,000. The cost will vary based on your needs and goals, and the area being treated. However, it is generally less expensive than traditional liposuction. For those exploring budget-friendly options, financing may be available through Cherry or CareCredit. Discover more about these opportunities during a consultation.
Be sure to check out our Specials page to see how you can save on your Tumescent Liposuction treatment!
Request an Appointment for Details about Tumescent Liposuction in Phoenix
At Affiliated Dermatology, we take pride in our dedication to helping you make educated, healthy decisions about your skin and body care.
For more information about tumescent liposuction or to schedule a complimentary consultation, please call Affiliated Dermatology at (480) 556-0446 or use our online contact form to leave us a message, and one of our patient care representatives will promptly get back to you.
Image Source: HENADZI KlLENT / Shutterstock